Colon Polyps, which is also known as colorectal polyps refers to the condition where the inner lining of your colon or large intestine begins to grow.
The large intestine is a hollow tube found at the bottom surface of the digestive tract. The formation of polyps takes place when some abnormal changes or mutations occur in the genetic material within the cells, which lines the colon. These mutations may occur after birth or may develop before birth. As per the normal functioning of the human body, the immature cells lining the colon naturally die, matures and die in a specific time. Here, the abnormal genetic changes play their part and prevent the cells from maturing and further dissolving. As a result, these genetically abnormal cells begin to accumulate and give rise to the formation of polyps.
Most of the colon polyps Dubai is not harmful but can turn dangerous for your body as time passes and convert into colon cancer. In that condition, you will need to visit the doctor to get those colon polyps out of your body. People who are more prone to develop this disease include 50 years of age or older, overweight and people who are indulged in smoking. Moreover, colon polyps Dubai can occur in 30% of the adults, up to 6% in children and around 12% in those who experience internal bleeding.
Every colon polyp Dubai is different. Even the cells, which are responsible for the formation of polyp are found to have different characteristics when viewed under the microscope. Moreover, they are different from each other in other factors such as size, number, location and tendency to become cancerous.
There are different types of colon polyps, which occur in the inner lining of the large intestine. These include:
- Adenomatous polyps: Adenoma or adenomatous polyp are considered the most common type of polyp. The chances of an adenoma polyp to develop into cancer depends upon its size. If the size of an adenoma is larger than one centimeter, then it is more likely to become malignant. People with multiple polyps are at a higher risk to develop additional polyps in the future, which can further become malignant. The manner in which the cells of polyp organize themselves directly affects the potential of developing cancer. The cells, which organize themselves in a finger-like structure are more likely to develop cancer than those cells that organize themselves into tabular structures.
- Genetic adenomatous polyp syndromes: Most of the polyps are genetic, also known as genetic adenomatous polyp syndrome, which means the development of abnormal changes or mutations that occurs in the cells are programmed into individual’s genes that have passed on from parent to child. Due to the mutation in the APC genes, most of the adenomatous polyps form familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP).
- Hyperplastic polyps: Hyperplastic polyp are considered the second most common type of colon polyp. These types of polyps either have lees or negligible chances of developing cancer unless and until they are organized in a historical pattern or placed in a proximal (ascending colon).
Symptoms of Colon Polyps Dubai
Most of the polyps do not show any signs or symptoms unless you get it diagnosed. There are very rare cases when it shows symptoms, which includes:
- Blood in excreting: You may find some blood in your excrete, in the toilet bowl or while wiping it with toilet paper. It happens when the colon inside your body starts bleeding.
- Constipation or diarrhea: If you suffer from constipation or diarrhea, which lasts more than a week, then it may be an alarming sign of colon polyp.
- Belly pain: While developing colon polyp you may experience pain in your belly.
- Fatigue: When the polyps start bleeding, it reduces the level of iron in your body and leads you to the condition of fatigue and shortness in breath.
Diagnosis of Colon Polyps Dubai
If you come across these signs and symptoms visit your doctor to get it diagnosed. There are several tests to find colon polyps. Sometimes, these can even help the doctor to remove the polyp during the test. There are several screening tests to find out colon polyps Dubai. These include:
- Colonoscopy: During the colonoscopy test, your doctor will use a thin, long and flexible tube along with a light and tiny camera attached to its end to check the insides of your colon. Moreover, this test can help in removing the polyps as they are sent for further checking to find out if they are cancerous.
- Virtual colonoscopy: Virtual colonoscopy, which is also known as CT colonoscopy involves the use of X-rays and a computer to take pictures of your colon. This type of test does not help in removing the polyps during the diagnosis.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy: Under flexible sigmoidoscopy, your doctor will use a thin, long and flexible tube with a light attached to its end to insert and look at the lower part of your colon. This test helps in removing the polyp during the diagnosis.
- Stool test: During the stool tests the doctor checks a sample of your excrete if it has blood on it or not. If the blood is found, then you may need to have a colonoscopy.
- Lower gastrointestinal series: For the diagnoses such as lower gastrointestinal series, you will need to drink a liquid known as barium before the doctor begins with the procedure as it will help your doctor to see the colon easily during an X-ray.
Treatment of Colon Polyps Dubai
If you have diagnosed with colon polyps Dubai, then you need to discuss with your doctor about the treatment procedure. Your doctor will perform a treatment known as polypectomy, which involves the usage of forceps or a wire loop for the removal of polyps. However, if the polyp is large in surgery, then you may need to undergo surgery for its removal.
In the case of familial adenomatous polyposis, you may need to undergo surgery to remove all the parts of the colon and rectum. As it emerges as the best way to avoid colon cancer for people who suffer from these kinds of health problems.